After five full days of college basketball, the Atlantic Coast Conference remains undefeated. 2011-2012 is off to an outstanding start.
The Confidential readily acknowledges that this trend is not going to continue. In fact, no single team has gone undefeated in nearly 35 years. So the idea of multiple teams going undefeated is unlikely, much less anyone from the same conference. In fact, it is impossible for two teams in the same conference to go undefeated–they all play each other at least once. At least until the Big East expands to 90 teams.
However worthless this trend might be, it nevertheless gives ACC some early bragging rights over the rest of the basketball landscape. Consider that the ACC is currently 22-0. If you include Pittsburgh and Syracuse, that surges to 27-0.
How do the other conferences compare to the ACC this year? Nobody else is undefeated. Nobody else even has one loss. Check it out:
- The Big East claims to have the best basketball in the land. Off to a 31-2 start (including Syracuse and Pitt). Sure, they can blame one of those losses on West Virginia, who is more interested in suing the Big East than representing it. But Rutgers lost to Miami. Game. Set. Match.
- The Big XII? With Kansas, some claim that this is the best basketball in the land. 17-2. Kansas lost to Kentucky. And Iowa State lost to someone. Feel free to look up who. Doesn’t matter to The Confidential.
- The Mountain West was sitting pretty heading into yesterday undefeated, but has now dropped to 14-2. A fade back into irrelevance is now in order. Also, keep an eye on the back door, the Big East is hunting in your backyard.
- The Big 10? 20-2. No, that’s not the halftime score of a Wisconsin game. That’s the Big 10′s overall record. And Michigan State’s losses both came to ACC schools.
- Pac-12? Not sure why the Pac-12 is credited with having elite anything. Every year they fail to place enough teams in bowl games. Every March, the bracketologists wonder whether they will get 4 teams in. 18-6 to start the season. Ugh. Stupid West Coast bias.
- The SEC? Stick to football. 19-5.
So, there it is. After five days, the ACC is rather plainly dominating college basketball.
As it should be. Right?