This is particularly complex with Pitt and Syracuse not yet in the ACC, but it can still be done. Here is how we view the ACC basketball schools as of January 16, 2012:
1. Syracuse (20-1) The Orange finally lost–to Notre Dame on the road. The absence of Fab Melo was crucial, but the team did not play like a top 25 team, much less a #1 team. Still, it’s just one game and nobody below them has played better on the season.
2. Duke (16-3) The loss at the buzzer to Florida State was very disappointing. Duke is accustomed to defending its home court. No real shame in the loss overall.
3. North Carolina (16-3) North Carolina rebounded against Virginia Tech. Big test this week against North Carolina State.
4. Virginia (15-3) Dominating win at Georgia Tech early in the week. Stunning loss to Virginia Tech.
5. North Carolina State (15-5) North Carolina State is still on a roll. It will be interesting to see how they do at North Carolina this week.
6. Florida State (13-6) Beating Duke, Maryland, and North Carolina is a definite plus for the Seminoles. Still, with 6 overall losses, Florida State is not ready for the top 5 yet.
7. Virginia Tech (12-7) Week began by having to deal with an angry North Carolina squad. Ended with a very nice win over Virginia.
8. Maryland (12-6) Losing to red hot Florida State on the road and Temple on the road makes this a tough week. Still viable for the Big Dance though.
9. Wake Forest (11-8) Took care of business at Boston College. Unfortunately, they get to host streaking Florida State next.
10. Miami (10-7) Finally got that first conference win. That it was against Clemson makes it slightly less impressive. Going to need to string together some wins very soon.
11. Clemson (10-9) Beating Georgia Tech salvaged a difficult week, which began with losses to Duke and Miami. Next up? Miami.
12. Pittsburgh (11-9) 0-7 in Big East play says it all. As tough as they played against Syracuse, they could not overcome Louisville at home.
13. Georgia Tech (8-11) Two more losses for the Yellow Jackets, who are seeing their post-season hopes slip away.
14. Boston College (7-12) After getting some momentum, the Eagles are back to their losing ways. Not looking good for post-season play.
Agree? Disagree? Let us know!