With the football season a mere two weeks away, the time has come for the Confidential’s Pre-Preseason Football Rankings. As with last year, Syracuse and Pitt will be included in these rankings. In any event, here they are:
- Florida State: Sooner or later, the King must be the King. It has been a long time since the Seminoles were dominant. Not sure it will happen this year, but they have the inside track for the ACC Championship.
- Virginia Tech: While Miami and Florida State have been the ACC Kings, it is Virginia Tech that has carried the ACC most seasons since the realignment. The Hokies slide above Clemson due to divisional differences.
- Clemson: The first thing Clemson needs to do is forget about the late-season collapse. The second thing it needs to do is look at all the talent on both sides of the ball. It’s going to be fun. Don’t count the Tigers out.
- Virginia: The Confidential likes what happened with Virginia last year and envisions the team building off that success. It is amazing what a good coaching hire can do to rejuvenate a program. That Penn State game looks a lot less daunting right now too.
- North Carolina State: The Wolfpack have a fairly talented crew returning. The difficulty of the schedule is questionable. Tennessee and UConn could go either way.
- Georgia Tech: The Yellow Jackets open the season with Virginia Tech. If the Tech battle goes Ga Tech’s way, this #6 ranking will be low.
- North Carolina: The OOC game against Louisville will be tough, especially on the road. But Elon, Idaho, and East Carolina is not too tough for the remainder of the slate.
- Pittsburgh: Every year, the Panthers seem ready to make a run. Every year they do not. So, it is #8 for Pitt until they capitalize on potential.
- Wake Forest: Not sure where Wake Forest is going with this OOC slate. Anything from 1-3 to 3-1 is possible with Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, Army, and Liberty. Pencil in a win over Florida state though.
- Miami: A reasonably challenging OOC slate with USF, Notre Dame, and Kansas State. But Miami gets North Carolina State, Florida State, and Virginia Tech at home.
- Syracuse: An insane OOC, with preseason #1 USC, Missouri, Northwestern, and even Minnesota. Is any other team playing 4 BCS conference teams OOC? Throw in 4 conference road games and the USC game being home but on a neutral site and this has the makings of a very difficult year.
- Boston College: Boston College rallied last year, showing some serious character. This should pay off in 2013. Just not quite bowl-ready though.
- Duke: Outside of Stanford, Duke’s OOC is very soft. This #13 ranking may end up being a little low. But Duke’s going to have to prove it on the field before the Confidential believes.
- Maryland: Well, it cannot get WORSE for Randy Edsall, can it? A tough OOC slate with Temple, UConn, West Virginia and William & Mary? That’s right… William AND Mary.
The Confidential predicts a Seminoles-Hokies battle for the ACC Championship, with the Seminoles showing the world that they are back.