With the football season a mere three days away, the time has come for the Confidential’s First Football Rankings. As with last year, Syracuse and Pitt will be included in these rankings. Here they are:
- Florida State: It’s put up or shut up time for Florida State. Well, not really. After all, the Big XII may be crossing its fingers when it says it is not interested in expansion.
- Virginia Tech: Until someone proves otherwise, you might as well pencil in Virginia Tech every year for the conference championship game.
- Clemson: After a long off-season trying to forget about the Orange Bowl, the Tigers get to take it out on an opponent. Unfortunately, it’s not a cupcake–it’s Auburn.
- Virginia: Virginia hopes to maintain the momentum it regained last year. Need to care of business against FCS Richmond.
- North Carolina State: A win against Tennessee, even if the SEC foe is down, would be a great start. The ACC needs wins like this.
- Georgia Tech: It’s hard to predict a win over Virginia Tech in the opener, but Virginia Tech can be vulnerable early in the season. Ask James Madison. Well, not the former President.
- North Carolina: Elon? Ugh. Enjoy that game.
- Pittsburgh: Because of WVU leaving the Big East, Pitt has two games against FCS foes. First up… Youngstown State.
- Wake Forest: After the disappointing opener loss at Syracuse last year, Wake gets an easier foe in Liberty. Should start 1-0 obviously.
- Miami: Boston College is a tough opener. At least Miami will not have to deal with all the suspensions like last year.
- Syracuse: With Syracuse’s schedule, they pretty much NEED to win against a good Northwestern team. We’ll see.
- Boston College: BC went 0-6 against FBS foes to start last year. A win over Miami would be a great way to start this year out.
- Duke: Florida International may not be a strong team, but Duke has no business looking past anyone.
- Maryland: If Maryland is going to turn it around, they absolutely cannot lose to William & Mary. Last year they opened with a win and the season imploded.
This will get all mixed up soon enough. Let the games begin….