Confidential Correspondents’ Basketball Poll: January 5, 2015
The Confidential routinely polls its correspondents to rank the top ACC basketball teams. The season now turns to 2015 and conference play! The correspondents agree on the top 10, with the other five schools being shutout. The correspondents also agree on the top 3. Here it goes:
- Duke (13-0), 50 pts, 5 first place votes. Duke finally gets all five first-place votes. The Blue Devils did not have too much trouble with Boston College. Next Conference Game: January 7 @ Wake Forest.
- Virginia (13-0), 45 pts. Virginia is the unanimous number 2, edging out Louisville. The Wahoos needed a few overtimes to beat Miami in an away opener. Next Conference Game: January 7 vs NC State.
- Louisville (13-1), 40 pts. Louisville has never lost a conference game in the ACC! Granted, Louisville has only played one game–defeating Wake Forest. But stats are stats. Next Conference Game: January 7 vs. Clemson.
- Notre Dame (14-1), 33 pts. At 14-1, the Fighting Irish have two ACC wins and are the next highest ranked ACC team overall. It was not easy to beat Georgia Tech though. It gets harder yet tonight against North Carolina. Next Conference Game: January 5 @ North Carolina.
- North Carolina (11-3), 29 pts. The Tar Heels are up to #18 in the country. They had no trouble with Clemson, but Notre Dame comes to town to provide another big test. Next Conference Game: January 5 vs. Notre Dame.
- North Carolina State (11-4), 21 points. NC State has survived some up and down efforts in non-conference play and is now 2-0 in conference. The correspondents are not yet sold, as those wins came against Wake Forest and Pitt. A very tough Virginia team looms. Next Conference Game: January 7 vs. Virginia.
- Syracuse (10-4), 17 points. The Orange looked better than #7 in the first half against Virginia Tech, but then looked much worse than #7 in the second half. But a road win is a road win. Next Conference Game: January 7 @ Georgia Tech.
- Miami (10-4), 15 pts. The Hurricanes dropped a tough one to Virginia, but get an easier foe upcoming in Boston College. Need to avoid losing two home conference games to start 2015. Next Conference Game: January 10 vs Boston College.
- Pittsburgh (10-4), 13 pts. Pitt places third of the three 10-4 ACC teams. Losing by 18 to NC State was both a reasonable loss and an unreasonable margin of loss. Next Conference Game: January 6 @ Boston College.
- Georgia Tech (9-4), 12 pts. The Yellow Jackets played very well in South Bend before falling in double-overtime. Not much time to lick the wounds as Syracuse comes to town on Wednesday. Both teams need this win. Next Conference Game: January 7 vs. Syracuse.
Others: Virginia Tech, Clemson, Boston College, Wake Forest and Florida State did not receive votes.
What do you think–do we have anyone over-ranked or under-ranked?