Confidential Correspondents’ Basketball Poll: January 13, 2015
The Confidential routinely polls its correspondents to rank the top ACC basketball teams. Here is a quick look at the current top 10:
- Virginia (15-0), 50 pts, 5 first place votes. At 15-0, Virginia is a unanimous #1. Plus, they are 3-0 in conference, having beaten three teams that are in the top 8 in these rankings. Next huge game: January 31 v Duke.
- Duke (14-1), 45 pts. Duke lost, and they may lose again. But this is still a very talented team that is angling for a #1 seed in the Big Dance. Next huge game: January 17 @ Louisville.
- Notre Dame (15-2), 38 pts. The Fighting Irish lost a tough one to Virginia, but still have a great resume. Indeed, they might have been #1 on this list if they had won. Next huge game: January 28 v Duke.
- Louisville (14-2), 35 pts. The Cardinals were a unanimous #4 after losing to North Carolina. There is no shame in losing these two games and you know Pitino will have this team ready in March. Relax, Cards fans! Next huge game: January 17 v Duke.
- North Carolina (12-4), 29 pts. At 12-4, with a win over Louisville, the Tar Heels move to the top of the second tier of ACC schools. While it will be tempting to look ahead, the Tar Heels are part of a group of ACC schools that cannot afford to look past any opponent. They are all huge. Next big game: January 14 @ NC State.
- North Carolina State (12-5), 24 pts. NC State got a big win over Duke and now gets to gear up for North Carolina. If you are going to play these two teams consecutively, at least they get to be at home. Next big game: January 14 v North Carolina.
- Syracuse (12-4), 22 pts. The Orange have been better in January than in December. The injury to future lottery pick Chris McCullough obviously will be a setback. But the Orange have a few games to try to adjust, as well as a schedule that is seriously back-loaded. Next big game: January 13 v Wake Forest.
- Miami (11-4), 16 pts. The Hurricanes have fallen off a bit, but there is still plenty of time to rally. The schedule gets tough quickly, however, with trips to Duke (returning home after a loss) and Notre Dame. Ouch! Next big game: January 13 @ Duke.
- Pittsburgh (11-5), 11 pts. The Panthers have been lethargic in ACC play. Or at least underwhelming. The fanbase is getting restless. In a 30-day stretch, Pitt will play all of the ACC’s ranked teams, plus Syracuse twice. Next big game: January 14 v Florida State.
- Clemson (9-6), 3 pts. The battle for 10th place in this poll was a three-team race between Clemson, Georgia Tech, and Wake Forest. Clemson’s win over Pitt gave them the edge. A trip to Virginia looms. Next big game: January 13 @ Virginia.
Others: Georgia Tech and Wake Forest 1 pt. Boston College, Virginia Tech and Florida State did not receive votes.
What do you think–do we have anyone over-ranked or under-ranked?