NFL Draft Update: ACC Players Round 1
With Round 1 of the NFL Draft complete, here is a look at which ACC schools had players drafted and where they went:
- With the 5th overall pick, the Jacksonville Jaguars selected FSU cornerback, Jalen Ramsey.
- With the 6th overall pick, the Baltimore Ravens selected Notre Dame tackle, Ronnie Stanley.
- With the 12th overall pick, the New Orleans Saints selected Louisville defensive tackle, Sheldon Rankins.
- With the 19th overall pick, the Buffalo Bills selected Clemson defensive end, Shaq Lawson.
- With the 21st overall pick, the Houston Texans selected Notre Dame wide receiver, Will Fuller
- With the 25th overall pick, the Pittsburgh Steelers selected Miami cornerback, Artie Burns
Thus, 4/32 picks are from ACC schools… 6/32 if you include Notre Dame (as we do). By comparison, the SEC had 8 players drafted, while Ohio State alone had five players drafted in the first round. Not a great first day, but there are six more rounds for the ACC to show itself as a top conference for producing NFL talent.
Among the key ACC Players still left to be drafted are:
- QBs: Jacoby Brissett, NC State
- RBs: CJ Prosise, Notre Dame; Shaquille Powell, Duke; Shad Thornton, NC State
- WRs/TEs: Tyler Boyd, Pitt
- Offensive Line: Nick Martin, Notre Dame; Joe Thuney, NC State; Landon Turner, North Carolina
- Defensive Line: Kevin Dodd, Clemson; Sheldon Day, Notre Dame; Ron Thompson, Syracuse
- Linebackers: BJ Goodson, Clemson;
- Secondary: Mackensie Alexander, Clemson; TJ Green, Clemson; Kendall Fuller, Virginia Tech, Jeremy Cash, Duke
- Special Teams/Other: Roberto Aguayo (K), FSU;
It will be interesting to see if and when each of these players gets drafted.