The Confidential’s ACC Basketball Preseason Rankings
The Confidential’s football top 15 rankings are a regular thing. With basketball right around the corner, it is time to roll out a preseason ranking. This is sure to fire up some folks–but, remember, no games have even been played yet. And if bubble teams can make Final Fours every few years, even a middle of the pack team has a chance. In any event, here are the preseason rankings:
- Duke. Duke is as stacked as ever, with top recruits and a lot of returning experience surrounding Grayson Allen. More than enough ingredients for Coach K to bake a Final Four cake.
- North Carolina. The Tar Heels have lost considerable talent, but Virginia and Syracuse have lost a lot too. It will probably be a step back, but don’t be surprised to see UNC in the hunt to win the ACC.
- Syracuse. Huh? Syracuse lost some players to the NBA off a team that barely eked into the Big Dance, but has had an influx of transfers to fill out the roster. Hard to argue against that.
- Virginia. The Wahoos are one of several teams battling for the #2 spot behind Duke, and a potential surprise to win it all. One wonders if there will be a hangover from the difficult loss to Syracuse in the Big Dance last year.
- Louisville. A very good team. And even if it is not in November, Rick Pitino will find a way to make them even more dangerous by March.
- Florida State. The second tier is led by Florida State, who is capable of threatening to rise to the top tier under Leonard Hamilton.
- Miami. The Hurricanes take a step back this year, but don’t expect them to drop TOO far. The Florida hoops teams are doing quite well of late.
- Notre Dame. The Fighting Irish lost a great player, but still return three starters.
- Virginia Tech. Sooner or later, Buzz Williams will have the Hokies making some noise.
- Clemson. Clemson had a few nice upsets last year and will look to build on that this year.
- Wake Forest. Danny Manning has things moving in the right direction.
- Pittsburgh. The loss of Jamie Dixon will be felt this year.
- North Carolina State. The offense will lag behind the defense this year.
- Georgia Tech. Still rebuilding under Josh Pastner.
- Boston College. Oh well.
Projected NCAA bids: BOLD. Projected Post-Season bids: Italics.
What do you think? How would you rank the top 5, top 10, and/or top 15?