ACC Football Rankings: September 4, 2012
This is particularly complex with Pitt and Syracuse not yet in the ACC, but it can still be done. With only only one week of games played, this is how we rank the ACC football schools as of September 4, 2012:
1. Clemson (1-0)–Clemson had the toughest opponent of Week 1 (Auburn) and still won. Not sure that Florida State will wait long to surge past, but Clemson gets the nod for Week 1.
2. Florida State (1-0)–Hey, a 69-3 drubbing of Murray State could be worse. See the bottom part of the standings.
3. Virginia Tech (1-0)–An important 20-17 win over Georgia Tech in overtime gets the Hokies off to a good start.
4. Georgia Tech (0-1)–Despite stumbling to Virginia Tech on the road, the Yellow Jackets get the nod over Miami and Virginia due to the opponent.
5. Miami (1-0)–Miami went on the road to B.C. and avenged last year’s loss. 32 points was a lot to give up, but the offense looked good.
6. Virginia (1-0)–Richmond is a tough FCS foe, but Virginia handled them appropriately. Started strong and ended strong, en route to a 41-16 win.
7. North Carolina (1-0)–Well, that was a great way to start the Fedora era–a 62-0 drubbing of Elon. Not sure we learned much about UNC though.
8. Syracuse (0-1)–If you watched the game, Syracuse dominated a very good Northwestern team. Silly special teams mistakes made this game close enough for Northwestern to pull it out.
9. Duke (1-0)–Duke looked pretty good in beating a game Florida International team, 46-26. This was not a squeaker.
10. North Carolina State (0-1)–No shame in losing to an improving Tennessee at a neutral site. It would have been a great win to take the next step though.
11. Wake Forest (1-0)–Looked pretty vulnerable in barely beating Liberty, 20-17. Unlike Maryland, will give Wake the benefit of the doubt that this was just opening week jitters.
12. Boston College (0-1)–Unfortunately, B.C.’s opening week draw of Miami was too much. They kept it close but that’s little consolation.
13. Maryland (1-0)–A 7-6 win over William & Mary is not exactly inspiring. Especially when that TD comes in the 4th quarter.
14. Pitt (0-1)–You lost to an FCS team, you go to the bottom. You lose at home, but 10+ points to an FCS team? Wow.
Do you agree with these rankings? If not, let us know.