ACC Roundtable of the Confidential Correspondents: Week 10/11
Welcome to the ACC Roundtable of the ACC Correspondents! As is and will be the plan for the remainder of the football season, the Confidential correspondents will discuss the Week that was (Week 19) and the Week that will be (Week 11) for the ACC and their respective schools. Tell us what you think below.
1. What was most notable about your school’s performance in Week 10?
- HHuntley (NC State): This was really an encouraging win. It was the first game without either of the top 2 running backs, and the running game survived. Defense rebounded nicely from the week before.11
- Lenville (Louisville): The Cards turned in their first complete game & got above .500 for the first time this season. The offense racked over 500 yards through the air & on the ground while the defense held Syracuse to 17 points. The Cards opponents have now committed over 50 turnovers in the last 22 games.
- Commander/ACaffrey (Syracuse): That the Syracuse defense continues to be unable to do ANYTHING well. It is like a chess game between a grand master and a novice. Another QB coming off the bench to have a career day.
- HHuntley (NC State): Oh boy, not really for this one. NC State hasn’t had great luck playing in Tallahassee recently, and FSU is going to be coming off a tough loss against Clemson. I guess I’m looking to keep it close…
- Lenville (Louisville): Will Bolin remain as the starter at quarterback & can the Cards put together another complete game. The Cardinals lost at Virginia last season & will look to get their first victory against their cross division rival to become bowl eligible.
- Commander/ACaffrey (Syracuse): This week’s game will have little to do with Scott Shafer’s tenure. If he wins the last two games, he will likely be back in 2016. However, will the team respond with the type of performance that they had against LSU? Will Shafer play to win, rather than his usual “play not to lose”? I thought he turned the corner with the LSU game and had finally realized this. Instead, he has regressed miserably. If the game is still a game after halftime, that will be a baby step.
3. Who impressed you the most in the ACC in Week 10?
- HHuntley (NC State): UNC looked better than ever in a dominant win over Duke. Does this say more about UNC or Duke? I’m temped to say it’s how good UNC can be, but both teams have had a rollercoaster of a year.
- Lenville (Louisville): North Carolina is looking good & put together another dominant performance. FSU also gave Clemson a better game than what I was expecting.
- Commander (Syracuse): How about Miami getting to bowl eligibility? The ACC could benefit with UNC beating Miami this week, but Miami could win out and have a 10-3 season with a bowl victory. The loss to Cincinnati stings more than the loss to Clemson. That is the type of game that Miami HAS TO win 100% of the time. In any event, if Miami can finish by winning 2 of its last 3, that would make it an 8-4 team heading into the bowls.
- HHuntley (NC State): Chaos reigned supreme this week atop the polls, so my vote right now would be: Clemson, Ohio State, the Big 12 winner, and Notre Dame. I would choose Notre Dame over Alabama because Notre Dame has a better loss right now than Alabama.
- Lenville (Louisville): 1 Clemson 2 Ohio St 3 Alabama 4 Oklahoma St. The Buckeyes have a chance to jump Clemson for the top spot with Michigan St & other quality opponents coming up on their schedule, including a possibly undefeated Iowa team in the B1G championship game. Oklahoma St should be in after their dominating performance against TCU. Alabama is looking like the best team in the country since their loss but they shouldn’t be any higher than #3, they have quality wins that other undefeated teams just don’t have. I would put Notre Dame, Baylor & Stanford as the next three.
- Commander (Syracuse): Season ends today & season’s end: 1. Clemson, 2. Ohio State, 3. LSU, and 4. Baylor. Alabama, Notre Dame, and Stanford are all in mix obviously.
What do you think? How would you answer these questions?