ESPN’s Eamonn Brennan recently opined regarding 5 rules changes that he would like to see in NCAA basketball governance. Specifically, he raised the following 5 opinions:
- I would create a strict, low, revenues and expenditures cap
- I would lobby for a constitutional amendment to prevent any and all further changes to the structure of the NCAA tournament
- I would allow players to return to college basketball after the draft if they went undrafted or failed to earn a contract by a given date
- The salary of the NCAA’s president is getting cut
- I would force a video game company to make a really good college basketball game
One suspects that the last entry was tongue-in-cheek, but the other four seem serious. Then again, none of them seem likely. The major conferences are not going to agree to a spending cap and our US Constitution seems to have bigger issues than NCAA sports. The cutting of the NCAA President’s salary is a populist measure, at best. So what are rule changes that make sense? The Confidential has a few.