The Confidential’s Basketball Top 30 for February 28, 2012
With over 300 teams in college basketball, the top 25 is just not enough anymore. Here is the Confidential’s Top 30 for February 28, 2012:
- Syracuse (29-1). Another road win for Syracuse as it continues its best season ever, this time over Connecticut. One regular season game left. Next up: Louisville.
- Kentucky (28-1). What more can be said about Anthony Davis? This team is rolling. Next up: Georgia.
- Michigan State (24-5). Two more wins, albeit over less than daunting competition. It gets tougher. Next up: @ Indiana.
- Duke (25-4). Big win over Florida State, followed up by narrow win at home over Va Tech. Next up: @ Wake Forest.
- Kansas (25-5). Big win over Missouri. Avoided the let down against Oklahoma State too. Next up: Texas.
- North Carolina (25-4). Two big wins over North Carolina State and Virginia. Matchup with Duke looms. Next up: Maryland.
- Missouri (25-4). Tough week, with losses to both Kansas State and Kansas. Is the lack of depth catching up to the Tigers? Next up: Iowa State.
- Marquette (24-5). Suspended four players for the first half and still beat a good West Virginia team. Marquette is dangerous. Next up: @ Cincinnati.
- Baylor (25-5). Struggled with the upper echelon of the Big XII, but beating up on the middle of the pack. Next up: @ Iowa State.
- Ohio State (23-6). Home loss to Wisconsin hurts a little, but this is still a very good team. Will be a challenge in March. Next up: @ Northwestern.
- Georgetown (22-6). The Hoyas have now won two in a row, after losing to Seton Hall. The Notre Dame win was particularly impressive. Next up: @ Marquette.
- Michigan (21-8). Despite losing to Purdue, it is difficult to move anyone ahead of the Wolverines. Next up: @ Illinois.
- Wisconsin (21-8). The Badgers are alternating wins and losses. This past week, a loss to Iowa followed by a win over Ohio State. Next up: Minnesota.
- Murray State (28-1). The one minor conference team that has punched its ticket to the Big Dance. They need to keep winning though. Next up: Conference Tourney.
- Wichita State (26-4). The Shockers will be the #1 seed in the always tough MWC tournament. A very nice season, indeed. Next up: Conference Tourney.
- Indiana (22-7). That’s give Big 10 teams in the top 16. The wins were not impressive, but certainly better than losses. Next up: Michigan State.
- Louisville (22-7). Loss to Cincinnati hurts a bit, but the Cardinals rebounded against disappointing Pittsburgh. They cannot overlook South Florida. Next up: South Florida.
- Florida (22-7). If Florida was in a deeper conference, this might be a 10-loss team. The loss to Georgia is inexplicable. Next up: @ Vanderbilt.
- Virginia (21-7). There are worse crimes than losing to North Carolina. Even at home. Next up: Florida State.
- Florida State (19-9). The Seminoles have hit a rough patch. A great chance to right the ship against Virginia. Next up: @ Virginia.
- UNLV (24-6). UNLV is starting to get some momentum back. Two decent wins, with a tough road game coming up. Next up: @ Colorado State.
- San Diego State (22-6). San Diego State got two good wins last week. This team will make some noise in March. Next up: @ Boise State.
- Notre Dame (20-10). After winning 8 in a row, Notre Dame has now lost two in a row. They are in the Big Dance with all the good wins though. Next up: Providence.
- Vanderbilt (20-9). There is no shame in losing to Kentucky. This is an improved Vanderbilt team. Next up: Florida.
- Temple (22-6). Lost to St. Josephs was bad, but not awful. Temple still has plenty of good wins. Next up: Massachusetts.
- Iowa State (21-8). Jumps into the top 30 with two more wins. Hard to ignore an 11-5 conference record in the Big XII. Next up: @ Missouri.
- South Florida (18-11). This team has a lot of losses, but most were early in the season when not at full strength. 11-5 in the Big East is good. Next up: @ Louisville.
- St. Mary’s (25-5). With a 14-2 conference record, St. Mary’s is the #1 seed in the conference. Is it enough for an at-large? Next up: Conference Tourney.
- Virginia Commonwealth (25-6). Two more wins for the Rams. And it is on to the conference tourney. Next up: Conference Tourney.
- Creighton (25-5). Two more wins for Creighton. On to the conference tourney. Next up: Conference Tourney.
Tell us what you think. Is anyone unfairly missing? Anyone too high or too low?