Confidential Correspondents’ Basketball Poll: January 27, 2015
The Confidential routinely polls its correspondents to rank the top ACC basketball teams. Here is a quick look at the current top 10:
- Virginia (19-0, 7-0). All 7 first place votes & 70 points. There are 4 Hall of Fame coaches in the ACC, but none of them are atop the ACC right now.
- Notre Dame (19-2, 7-1). 61 points. The Fighting Irish only have one conference loss–Virginia.
- Duke (17-2, 4-2). 57 points. The Blue Devils got Coach K his 1,000th win, but 1,0001 will be tough as Virginia and Notre Dame each get to host Duke in the coming week.
- North Carolina (17-4, 7-1). 47 points. The Tar Heels survived a tough test against a game Syracuse team, before pulling away at the end.
- Louisville (16-3, 4-2). 45 points. The Cardinals have not lost to an unranked team all year…which is a good sign for them and a bad sign for Boston College, who hosts them tomorrow.
- Miami (14-5, 4-2). 33 points. With a win over Syracuse in the Carrier Dome, and losses to only Virginia and Notre Dame, Miami is easily the 6th team in this list.
- Syracuse (14-7, 5-3). 27 points. The injury and NBA-ravaged Orange roster is performing valiantly and avoiding truly terrible losses, but just does not have the depth to land quality wins.
- North Carolina State (13-8, 4-4). 20 points. The Wolfpack have no bad conference losses, but unlike Syracuse they do have the embarrassment of losing to Wofford on the overall resume.
- Pittsburgh (13-7, 3-4). 12 points. With two games against Syracuse remaining, Pitt is in contention for being in the top 7 or 8 in the ACC.
- Clemson (11-8, 3-4). 10 points. The Tigers have wins over Pitt and Syracuse at home, and have two games against NC State to also try to crack the top 7 or 8 of the ACC.
Florida State received two votes, while Virginia Tech received one~~as one confidential voter threw a bone to the football schools.
What do you think–do we have anyone over-ranked or under-ranked?