ACC Football Rankings
This is particularly complex with Pitt and Syracuse not yet in the ACC, but it can still be done. Here is how we view the ACC football schools as of October 31, 2011:
1. Clemson–The Confidential is sticking with Clemson here. Losing to Georgia Tech was disappointing, but not disastrous.
2. Virginia Tech–hard to move the Hokies after they only barely beat Duke.
3. Georgia Tech–the win over Clemson gets things back on track.
4. Florida State–dominant win over North Carolina State suggests that better times are ahead.
5. Miami–the loss to Virginia is a step backward.
6. North Carolina– Almost moved the Tarheels ahead of Miami. Impressive win over Wake Forest.
7. Syracuse– Hugely disappointing loss to Louisville. They get the edge with the win over Wake Forest.
8. Wake Forest–Needed that North Carolina win to get to the next level.
9. Virginia– With wins over Miami and Georgia Tech, this is the one team that may be significantly underrated at this point. The Confidential is feeling a bit guilty here.
10. Pittsburgh— A win over UConn without their best player gets them the nod here, but it may be a short-lived stay this high.
11. Duke—Playing the Hokies close is better than getting shellacked by the Seminoles. We still expect NC State and Duke to flip.
12. North Carolina State–hard to not penalize a team that did not score. I am sure the Wolfpack will rise up a few slots soon enough.
13. Boston College– the head-to-head matters, but the fact that Maryland just seems to have quit on Edsall carries the day.
14. Maryland- Beating Boston College to go to 3-5 was imperative. This team is reeling.