The standings are starting to become even clearer, as all six correspondents voting correspondents had the same top 3, and 5/6 had the same top 5. Spots 6 through 10 are a mess though. Here are the poll standings as of today and a brief synopsis:
As we enter Week 7, the standings are starting to become clear. This was, by far, the most consistent the Confidential correspondents have been this season. With 5/6 of the correspondents voting, here are the poll standings as of today and a very very brief synopsis:
As we enter Week 5, things are supposed to get easier, not more jumbled. Georgia Tech was not supposed to beat Virginia Tech. Pitt was not supposed to lose to Iowa. And so on. Anyway, with all precincts now reporting (that is why we are updating this) here we go:
As we enter Week 4, things are really starting to…get more confusing? What happened to the clarity? In any event, the Confidential correspondents are as clueless as anyone else as to how to rank these ACC teams. I kid, of course. Nevertheless, Georgia Tech (3-0), UNC (2-0), NC State (3-0), and Syracuse (2-0) are not ranked in the top 10. Meanwhile, four one-loss teams are ranked. How often does that happen? Anyway, here we go:
The votes are in. It is time to reveal this week’s Confidential Basketball Poll. As a reminder, if you want to be part of our football bowl Pick’em, head over to Yahoo and group 20211. Returning to hoops, here is the top 10:
1. Syracuse, 10-0, 59 Points (5 first place votes). The Orange are off to a great start, winning Maui and nice wins over Indiana and St. Johns. Next big game: Villanova on 12/28.
2. Pitt, 10-0, 50 points (1 first place vote). The Panthers make it 1-2 for former Big East teams atop the ACC standings. Next big game: Right now, vs. Cincinnati!
3. Louisville, 9-1 (47 points). More former Big East action, as the Cardinals slot in at #3. The sole Cards loss was to UNC. Next big game: @ Kentucky on 12/28.
4. Duke, 8-2 (43 points). The Blue Devils have losses to #1 Arizona and Kentucky. And a nice win over Michigan. Next big game: UCLA on 12/18.
5. North Carolina, 7-2 (39 points). The Tar Heels have losses to Belmont and UAB. Wins over MSU, Louisville, and Kentucky make this team quite an enigma. Next big game: Texas on 12/18.
6. Wake Forest, 8-2 (30 points). Not sure the Demon Deacons deserve the #6 spot with few quality wins, but there is a lot of mediocrity between #6 and #12 right now. Next big game: @ Xavier on 12/28.
7. Notre Dame, 8-3 (20 points). The Fighting Irish have some really bad losses. But that win over Indiana seems to have folks excited again. Next big game: Ohio State on 12/21.
8. North Carolina State, 7-2 (13 points). The Wolfpack are looking for a really good win to help offset some tough losses. The chances will come. Next big game: @ Tennessee on 12/18.
9. Virginia, 7-3 (10 points). Like the teams immediately above it, hard to find a good win for Virginia. Not hard to find some bad losses. Next big game: @ Tennessee on 12/30.
10. Clemson, 8-2 (7 points). At first, this looks like a football record and pick. But Clemson has a nice win over Temple and acquitted itself well against Arkansas. Next big game: @ Auburn on 12/19.
The rest: Florida State (5 points), Georgia Tech (4 points), Maryland (4 points), and Virginia Tech (1 point). Miami and Boston College did not receive votes.
What do you think? Feel free to share your poll.