If you are a fan of college football, then you are at least slightly interested in how players from your favorite school fare in the NFL. Perhaps you are even a big fan of the NFL too. Did you know which schools have placed the most players in the NFL Hall of Fame?
Here is the top 10 list, as per the best source we have–the NFL Hall of Fame itself:
- Southern California (11)
- Notre Dame (10)
- Ohio State (9)
- Michigan (8) & Pittsburgh (8)
- Alabama (7) & Syracuse (7)
- Illinois (6), Miami – Florida (6), Penn State (6), Oregon (6) and Minnesota (6)
That’s right. Miami, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, and Notre Dame.
Not Florida State, Virginia Tech, Clemson, and Virginia Tech. You do not see the Big 10’s Wisconsin, Michigan State, Maryland, Rutgers, or Nebraska. You do not see the SEC’s Florida, Auburn, Georgia, or L.S.U. You do not even see the Big XII’s Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, or even Texas.
Just recent additions to the ACC, courtesy of the now-destroyed Big East.
Recently, the ACC had a very good NFL draft in 2013. Looking backward, who are the Hall of Famers, by school, from the ACC? Here you go:
- Boston College (2): Art Donovan, Ernie Stautner
- Clemson (0)
- Duke (3): Sonny Jurgensen , George McAfee , Clarence (Ace) Parker
- Florida State (2): Fred Biletnikoff , Deion Sanders
- Georgia Tech (2): Joe Guyon, Billy Shaw
- Louisville (1): Johnny Unitas
- Maryland (2): Stan Jones , Randy White
- Miami (6): Ted Hendricks , Michael Irvin , Jim Kelly , Cortez Kennedy, Jim Otto , Warren Sapp
- North Carolina (2): Chris Hanburger , Lawrence Taylor
- North Carolina State (0)
- Notre Dame (10): Nick Buoniconti , Dave Casper , George Connor, Paul Hornung , Earl (Curly) Lambeau , John (Blood) McNally, Wayne Millner , Joe Montana , Alan Page , George Trafton
- Pittsburgh (8): Mike Ditka , Chris Doleman , Tony Dorsett , Russ Grimm , Rickey Jackson , Dan Marino , Curtis Martin , Joe Schmidt
- Syracuse (7): Jim Brown , Larry Csonka , Al Davis, Floyd Little , John Mackey , Art Monk , Jim Ringo
- Virginia (3): Bill Dudley , Henry Jordan , Ralph Wilson, Jr.
- Virginia Tech (1): Bruce Smith
- Wake Forest (1): Bill George
So there you have it. The ACC has put quite a few people into the NFL Hall of Fame, led mostly by teams that are new to the ACC fold.
By the way, who has been to Canton? Did you like the NFL Hall of Fame or find it disappointing?